Every day we find ourselves in situations that cause stress. Some days are better than others. Although controlled stress can be good, especially as we work towards our choices in life, uncontrolled chronic stress can be damaging to our wellbeing. Stress can be more damaging when we go through challenging times such as the loss of a loved one, separation, divorce, and loss of employment, job changes, or a move.
If unchecked, each situation can take a toll on our bodies, mind and spirit. The best way to manage stress is to first acknowledge that we are stressed. Most of us somehow manage to push ourselves to the end of the list for care giving, rather than taking care of our needs daily. As Debra Rodrigues often reminds her clients, the airline attendant tells parents to put their air mask on first, before they do so for their children…you can’t help others if you are running out of oxygen for yourself. It is the same with life in general; help yourself with your own wellness so you can then help others.
Here are some stress management tips we would like to share:
- Don’t worry about fixing everything in one day – “Rome was not built in a day”.
- Set small goals towards your biggest ones – Take baby steps towards achieving your small goals and eventually you will reach your main goals.
- Make an active decision to de-stress your life.
- Share your ideas with a trusted friend or obtain a counsellor at PCCS Mediators & Counsellors who can be objective and teach you stress management skills.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Get lots of sleep – Sleep is so important towards your ability to handle stress. If you are not able to sleep well, get some rest or a nap during the day.
- Eat healthy meals and snacks – Get some vitamins and minerals into your body.
- Drink lots of water.
- Get together with good friends for a laugh – Laughing is so good for the soul.
- Go for walks or do a little exercise each day
- Allow yourselves time to heal – Major changes take time to emotionally and psychologically.
- If you are going through separation obtain Mediation – Mediation helps to keep the conflict and costs down and is very effective.
Hopefully today is the day you take the first step to make a positive change.by