ONLINE AND TELEPHONE SERVICES AVAILABLE FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE
Payment can be made by etransfer, Visa or Mastercard
Family Mediation Services Include:
- Separation and Divorce Mediation
- Parenting Plan Mediation
- Financial Division of Assets and Liabilities Mediation
- Parent/Teen Conflict Mediation
- Inter-Generational Conflict Mediation
- Elder Issues Mediation
- Sibling Conflict Mediation
- Estate and/or Estate Planning Mediation
- Suing for Monetary Damages Mediation
- Marriage Contracts and Cohabitation Mediation
- Neighbour Issues Mediation
- Community Issues Mediation
- Sports Issues Mediation
- Residential Co-op, Retirement Home Buildings Mediation
- Family Business Mediation
What is Family Mediation?
Family Mediation is an alternative process used by persons who wish to discuss sensitive or difficult issues with the guidance of a neutral third party in order to reach agreement.
Family Mediation can be used to avoid court litigation, decrease conflict, assist with differences of opinion or where guidance is needed to flush out options.
Family Mediation is cost effective, efficient, and helps to keep the conflict down.
Most people seek out mediation for family issues like separation and divorce, elder issues, parenting plans, and financial issues. Accredited PCCS Mediators are available to help you in Brampton, Mississauga, Orangeville, Milton, Georgetown, Acton, Bolton, Guelph, and Rockwood.
Benefits of Family Mediation
1. Confidential – it can be as confidential as you want it to be.
2. More comfortable and informal than all other processes.
3. Extremely cost-effective – less costly than other professional processes.
4. Efficient – saves you time and money. It is done as quickly as you can work at it.
5. Empowers you to resolve the issues – you decide the outcome and what is best for your family. You are involved in generating options, ideas and deciding the outcome.
6. Allows for more satisfying solutions and creativity to suit your family’s personal and unique requirements.
7. Other professionals can be utilized as needed. For example, a tax specialist, financial advisor, child specialist.
8. Helps you focus on your future, not your past.
In short, provided that family mediation is recognized as the best possible alternative given your specific situation, it can assist you to resolve your conflict in a more amicable, timely, and cost-effective manner.
When family mediation does not result in settlement, you can still seek other remedies such as court or arbitration. Even in cases of partial resolution through mediation, final costs are often reduced as the parties may have agreed on solutions to some of the issues involved in their dispute and therefore have less to arbitrate or to go to court over.
Of those individuals who reach agreement through family mediation, most agree that the settlement was fair and that they were satisfied with both the process and the results. By minimizing the atmosphere of conflict through family mediation, people are able to focus their energy in reaching creative and reasonable solutions to their disputes.
When Family Mediation is Not Appropriate
Some situations are not suitable for family mediation, like in cases where there has been a history of domestic violence that leads to current safety concerns for the parties involved or when there is a severe power imbalance that interferes with the integrity of the process. The mediator will screen for this during the first telephone call and interview with each potential client. Sometimes safeguards are put into place like shuttle mediation. Family Mediation is not appropriate when the other party uses fear, threats, violence or intimidation to get what they want. It does not work when there is no respect or the other party refuses to listen to your opinons and interests. It is not appropriate when you are afraid to openly express your needs and concerns even with the help of the mediator. The mediator will screen for these issues and determine if your situation is appropriate.